Sunday, June 8, 2014

My Son Proverb 19



My son  (December ‘08)

     The next occurrence of “my son” in the book of Proverbs appears to fall into a series of ‘stand-alone’ proverbs in the previous verses. But, the Lord inserted it right at this spot for good reason because He is dealing with sons in general in the previous verses.

     “A foolish son is the calamity of his father” (v.13)…”Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying” (v.18)…”He that wastes his father, and chases away his mother, is a son that causes shame, and brings reproach.” (v.26) Then “my son” occurs in the very next verse:
“Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causes to err from the words of knowledge.” (Proverbs 19:27)  

     The son that is “foolish” becomes a “calamity” to his father when he does not listen to his father’s “words of knowledge” but instead listens to “the instruction that causes [him] to err”. A good illustration of this is when the preacher’s son decides that he knows better practicing his own religion causing him to focus on the words of men and not the precious Word of God.

     The son that needs chastening often times is in that position because he refuses to follow the wisdom and instruction from his earthly father and as Hebrews 12 teaches it is then necessary to receive chastening from his heavenly Father.  This brings to pass ‘God’s Spiritual Aerobics’, and we are “exercised” (Hebrews 12:11, 5:14) eventually producing His desired result!

     The son that “wastes his father and chases away his mother” displays the nasty spirit of rebellion by rejecting the God-ordained authority so lovingly given by the Lord. This action by the son often times is induced by pride which says:
“The old man is nuts, and Mom is out to lunch…I don’t need them or their advice…I can stand on my own two feet!”

     And as the modern quip “Hire the young while they still know everything” implies, the time will come when the young-uns will wake up and recognize they don’t know everything and Dad and Mom are getting smarter by the day. But, many times it is too late to “salvage” the next generation, and the grand-children are the ones who suffer!   

     This “instruction that causes to err” comes from all kinds of sources. It might be the guy next door or the co-worker that has “polished” his practice or world-view so that it sounds like he knows the best way to get the job done even though you have to violate Bible principles and cut corners in order to make a buck!

     The best source of instruction or counsel is first of all the Word of God, then your parents, then your Pastor/older men.    
I can remember learning this lesson early on in my Christian life when the boss at work was treating me with contempt, wanting me to partake in things that were not right to do in business. I was in middle management with a group of engineers working for me and I was ultimately forced to get out of supervision and go back to design engineering.

     But, before I did, I counseled with our Pastor, thinking he would tell me to ‘run away’ from this boss of mine. But, to my surprise he taught me this most valuable principle. Stay under authority regardless and appeal to God allowing Him to change the circumstances if He wants to relieve the pressure…but don’t do wrong in the meantime…show respect for your authority!

     And, this command (I Peter 2:18) worked like all in the Word. God honored my obedience and taught me an invaluable lesson. Not too long after that, I was in another pinch, and went to my un-saved Dad for counsel because it involved something we did together before I was saved. We bought a pop-up camper in partnership.

     But, when Betsy and I sold our store, we did not immediately remove the camper from the property and the new owner would not allow us take it home. When I talked to Dad about it, he got this look in his eye and said: ‘I’ll take care of this’ and he drove up to the store we owned, walked in, talked to the man, and proceeded to hook up his Jeep to the camper and left!

     I was hesitant to do the same because we had a sales agreement with the new store-owner and did not know exactly what the outcome would be…so I counseled with Dad. Parents are the best people to go to if you need counsel…they are number two after God…regardless of their spiritual condition. However you must take that into consideration as you discern exactly what the will of God is in the matter.

     Solomon’s wisdom continues to work today, bringing forth fruit in the kingdom of God which is fed by the Word of God and is operating non-stop, 24-7, through the Holy Spirit’s power, so that all we as Christians have to do is:
“Seek ye first the kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you.” (Matthew 6:33)
“How much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him?” (Luke 11:13)
“The Words that I speak unto you, they are Spirit, they are life.” (John 6:63)
“This Book of the Law shall not depart out of thy mouth but thou shalt meditate therein, day and night, that thou may observe to do according to all that is written therein, for then thou shall make thy way prosperous and then thou shall have good success.” (Joshua 1:8)
“Blessed is the man that walks not in the counsel of the ungodly…but his delight is in the Law of the LORD” (Psalm 1:1,3)


Chaplain LEWolfe  www.btmi.org  I-85 Exit 35 SC   McPilot    Stop in, and please pray for our ministry!

No comments:

Post a Comment